The Only Ways to reduce Council Taxinfo | June 4, 2018 | 0 | Finance
Council tax, which is based on the property is compulsory and has to be paid to local authorities. How much council tax you have to pay depends on your local council as they fix the amount to be paid. It is also dependent on the “band” assigned to your home, and the “band” is based on the value of your house. It is also checked if you are eligible for a reduced amount of tax.
The ways that can reduce Council Tax
- If you live alone, you can avail 25% discount regardless of your economic condition.
- If you live with students or carers or trainees or apprentice or someone below 18, Council tax is not calculated on them.
- If you look after somebody in a household as a carer for minimum 35 hours a week and with additional criteria, you are exempted from the Council Tax.
- If the value of your home has been decreased due to the adaptation of the house for disabled or for a nearby motorway, or the tax band applied to your house is wrong then you can apply for a lower band.
- You can make a request to pay your bill in 12 monthly installments rather than 10 installments to make the bill little less, or you can pay in a lump sum to avail some discount on the bill.
- If you fall under low-income or certain benefits that you can claim, then you may be eligible for claiming council tax arrears.
- You can apply for Discretionary Council Tax Support which is awarded when local council is convinced that your circumstances are so difficult to pay the tax or you have sudden emergency expenses. But in this case, you must be getting Council Tax Support already and have no other means to pay the tax, and you have contacted the council tax team for the same.
All you have to do is check from the above which one is applicable in your case and contact your local authority to know the eligibility criteria and how to apply.